Sunday, October 20, 2013

What is the World ComingTo? Part 2

I left my thoughts with parents and responsible adults needing to make sure that values are a part of our lives.  My parents, and most of the adults around me taught by example.  I was not always the perfect student.  "If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all", was something I heard from my Grandparents, my parents and many of the adults that I looked up to.
     "The Golden Rule", a timeless teaching in human interaction was something I saw modeled everyday.  I was not always the perfect mimic.  "love thy neighbor as thyself".   The list of wise tidbits of humanity and compassion could go on, but most of us have heard them.  Sometimes, I guess, the trick is when we choose to live them.
     Most of us have probably been bullied at some point in our lives.  I know, from personal experience, that it is not fun.  There were a couple of periods in my childhood, where I experienced the pain and frustration of being bullied.  I don't remember it being long-term, and ongoing, but I recall it growing to a point where my bully moved from verbal "assaults" to one day where he really wanted to fight me.  He was bigger than me, and I was pretty scared, but not inclined to run away.  What 5th grade boy wants to be identified as "chicken"?  Not looking forward to the pain, but gonna stand my ground.......and fight?   It never happened.
     As the bully started pushing me, and I realized how close this was getting to a fistfight (for no reason), a flash of color from behind me ended the situation (kind of).  My friend, Preston, who had seen what was going on, came flying in from the side and body checked my assailant.  As the captain of our school flag-football team, a star on our basketball team, and pretty much an all around athlete, nobody messed with Preston, but pretty much everyone liked him.
     Preston planted one good shot to the bully's nose, and announced that if he wanted to pick on anybody, he, Preston, was always right here, and ready to go.
     Now, the shot to the nose may not have been totally necessary, but I can also say that no one ever had a problem with that bully during the rest of our school years. I was so glad that someone had seen my dilemma, and stepped in to help.  So many victims wish for help, but can't see a way that "asking" doesn't worsen the problem.
     And, sometimes, victims reverse roles.  It wasn't right at the same time, but a bit later, that I became the bully.  I was not alone, but that doesn't excuse my involvement.  Our church congregation had changed, and there were some boys my age that had been in other congregations.  They went to different schools, and some of my friends went to school with them, and thought they were really cool.  They were not always friendly to those of us that didn't go to their school.  So I tried to fit in other ways.
     We had one boy at church that was in the school's equivalent of special ed.  He was friendly, but kind of socially ............ trying to find a kind way to put it.  Socially "less comfortable than the average teenager."  His family had many struggles financially, and so he didn't fit in with our new group dynamic.
     We were not nice to him.  I was not nice to him.  I wanted to fit in, and for awhile I ignored what my parents had tried so hard to teach me.  I played along with the derisive comments, the snubbing, the laughter at his expense, all the while seeing that it hurt his feelings.  But I didn't stop, and I didn't step up.
     I am ashamed to say that I never stepped up on his behalf.  But I learned a hard and valuable lesson.  One day, at a Scouting event (of all the places for such an ironic occurrence), we (the group) had gone under the bleachers to sit in the shade while we ate.  This young man (I DO remember his name, but will simply call him Joe, since some of my readers may know him)came under the bleachers to sit with us.  We told him no, that nobody wanted to sit with him.  The things we said got more hurtful, and then we took a more aggressive posture, standing up and "shunting" him away from our spot.  Joe was obviously hurt by our behavior, but we continued to taunt him.  I don't remember every single word, or even if one of us started to push Joe physically, but I do remember Joe reaching his breaking point.  He was crying, and lashed out and hit one of the boys in the face, and then ran away.  I don't actually remember if he hit me, but in my memory, I felt bad enough that he may as well have hit me.  I really felt like I deserved it.
     I don't remember seeing Joe at church the next day, and before the week was out, Dad informed me that Joe's family had needed to move, because his dad had finally found a part-time job in another community. I knew they were poor, but I hadn't been aware that the family was truly struggling to eat. Considering our lunchtime behavior at the Scout event,  I felt so guilty for weeks, that I could hardly even look at my "friends".  I felt sick over the way we had treated "Joe", and I often wished that I could apologize to his face.  I have no idea where he is today, but I often think back on what that time taught me, and hope that I get a chance some day to apologize in person.
     I learned, for me, that "social power" derived from belittling others is hollow and distasteful.  I fear that society's portrayal is one that promotes the "power" and tries to fill it with a false concept of "winning".
     I remembered that this was not how I wanted to feel, because I knew how it felt, and I should never be involved in making others feel that way. I got reminded of the Golden Rule.
     I learned that some actions are regrettable.  I would not look back and say I can identify many real regrets in my life, but that one day under the bleachers is definitely on the list.  I knew I should stand up and tell the others to quit.  I KNEW how much words can hurt, and I STILL joined in the taunting.  I KNEW that this was not how a Christian young man, or a dedicated Boy Scout should behave toward others, and I DID NOTHING!!  And I regret not immediately calling, visiting, seeking Joe out to apologize.  I pray constantly that his parents and other true friends were able to keep him involved in church, where his church group (the ones that should have been his strength and support) were driving him away.  I decided then, that I would never allow someone to be bullied in my presence without stepping in, even if only to offer the victim a friend, and the bully a new (and more difficult) target.
     I read reports that some of these bullies feel no remorse.  In one case, the local sheriff didn't decide to press charges against the bullies until he read a facebook post that the girl was glad that "so and so had 'offed herself'  and she didn't give a ......".     I pray that bullies feel remorse, almost as much as I pray that the "Scotts" of the world realize that we need to stand up.  Be a friend to the bullied, stand against bullying.  Show compassion for those around us, by imagining how we would feel, and what it would mean to have someone step to our defense.  It doesn't always take a "Preston tackle", but it may be the difference between life and death for a victim on the edge.  Life is a fragile thing, and facing it together makes it easier and more enjoyable.
     WE ARE THE ANSWER TO THE QUESTION: What is the world coming to?  Where are we going to take it?  What are we going to make out of it, by our example more than our words?  What is this world coming to?  We have to decide!

No comments: