Saturday, February 4, 2012

Practice hike 1

Well, I might make it!  Today, saturday Feb 4th, I took all the kids, and we went and hiked a trail over by Greer's Ferry dam.  The trail is probably up to 2 miles, and has some pretty steep spots, and one LOOONG staircase, because the trail would be treacherus at that point otherwise.
   I was honestly worried if the pain in my knees this week was from somethiing other than "muscle" soreness, but I figured this little hike would give me a good indicator.  I could still feel the "tenderness" in my knees, but they never did hurt.  YaaY! 
   The trail is really pretty.  It snakes along the edge of the canyon below the dam.  The top of the trail is blacktop, designed to give wheelchair access to a couple of overlooks.  Then, the long stairs drop you off the face of the wall, and down to a trail level well below the rim, but still high enough to give nice    views down the canyon.  The Little Red River is prime fishing, and we could watch some of the fly fishermen working the river as we hiked.  The rock formations and walls were striking!  And there are a few run-off streams that work down the side of the canyon towards the river.  Overall, a very pleasant hike.  And one that will become familiar.  The boys and I will hike this at least once a week until Philmont, just to help stay in shape! 
   I will try to figure out how to add some pictures to this blog, because I want all of you not living in Arkansas to see just how pretty it is here!

No comments: