Friday, August 5, 2011

Life moves pretty fast!

So much has happened since my last post. 
And that is just the basics.  I will say nothing here of my thoughts on major political and world events.  That takes time that I will arrange another day.
I had a small group travel with me to German speaking Europe this summer.  We visited Switzerland, Austria, and of course Germany.  Oh, not to forget Liechtenstein, even though the 1.5 hour stop and roughly 1 hour to drive through the tiny country hardly counts as a visit.
I am falling in love with Vienna (Wien).  The city has so much history and culture just right there in your face all the time!  This was my second time there.  As the royal capitol for nearly 8 centuries, you can see so much of European history represented all around you, to say nothing of the tours through palaces and museums and such.  Some will consider this "history-nerdy", but to me looking at a sword that actually belonged to Charlemagne is breathtaking, even if the sword itself is nothing fancy to look at.  Just the fact that it is a piece of real history more than a millenia old blows my mind!
And, of course, I love Switzerland!  I look forward to some summer in the future just taking Michelle and spending a month or more in this beautiful country!  We will travel to other places, but maybe do a house swap, or something, and just BE in Switzerland for awhile.
And Germany is always of interest to me.  It was really a great trip!  We had nice touring companions on our bus, and the guide and driver were exceptional!  Our guide is a TV actor and vocal soloist named Matthias Unger.  He was great!  Had sooooo much fun on this tour!
Since my return, I have dealt with chicken farm issues such as burnt out fan motors ( I am getting quite good at handling electrical work), leaking water lines, feed auger systems which had to be repaired and/or replaced and so on.  I have only got hands on training in all the plumbing, electrical, and industrial equipment work, but it is becoming rare that I have to go find Bob or some other "expert" for advice or help.  I feel pretty good about that.
I did also go to Tulsa University, to get training for AP German, which will be offered at Conway this year!!  Yeah!  I haved worked hard to build this program to the point that District administrators will soon have to decide to hire another part-time German teacher or figure out how to tell parents that a school of 3000 students can't offer German to everyone who wants it!  They will have to turn down about 20 this year as it stands.  I hope next year the number is double that.  That would be 2 classes!
Getting long, back to normal chicken farm life for the past few weeks!  More next week, after school starts (for teachers).  :(    or is it  :)    Maybe better wait till October to decide;  that's when I will feel like I am ready to start the school year.

No comments: