Sunday, May 17, 2009

I wish it would rain some!

I have to say, I actually enjoy writing these posts. I know I can get somewhat long-winded at times, but I have fun putting some of these thoughts into print. If any of you get some enjoyment out of reading, that, to me, is just a bonus.

I know it is becoming somewhat of a cultural joke, that everyone, and sometimes even the dog write Blogs. Sometimes I think these attempts at "blogging" give me an idea what newspaper writers go through. You know, the ones who write the daily or weekly editorials, or personal interest columns. It might be fun, but I can sense how the pressure would build. I am not sure I could do that every day. Once a week, sure, but every day? On a deadline? "iffy"

As most of you reading know, Bakersfield CA, is not particularly wet. I think it actually illustrates my point when I say that some of my memories revolve around those few times when it wasn't. Like the time it rained so hard that College (street, road, BLVD, I forget) flooded right there by East High School, and a clogged storm drain meant that the last "dip" before the stoplight was flooded and cars were having to be floated across. we were on the way to Primary, as I recall. We must have stopped, because the thing that stands out most for me is nearly being pushed into the "pond" by an exuberent teenager jumping in to help push some cars over to the other side.

Then there was the storm that left Troy flooded when that car got washed under the train tracks. And everywhere else was flooded. I remember trudging along one street on our paper route. The water was streaming past about calf deep. Dad had allowed us (Cindy and me) to go over the cement at the intersection, but had instructed us to stay away from the sides of the road, since this road had no sidewalks. We were to throw the newspapers as far into the yards as possible, and if they floated away, leave them! Over the next 2 days, I remember how I felt seeing the huge trenches that had been cut where sidewalks would have been. One side was nearly 3 feet deep, and the other had cut away the edges of some of the yards!! People had used 4x4's and heavy plywood to span the cuts from their driveways, otherwise they were trapped.

I guess I hadn't seen "real" flooding, though, until we moved to Arkansas. The last 2 springs have been very wet. I keep reminding myself that by definition we live in a rain-forest. Last year, Feb-May was so wet that many levees broke, some areas had water running over dam spillways that had been dry for decades, and our river systems were flooded. I can't speak to "crest" measurements on most of the rivers, but let's just say that Batesville was on the other side of a "lake" where a cornfield existed. Water was up into the city park on the riverfront, which usually sits High and dry about 8-12 feet above normal river level. Other areas had houses washed away, the most striking image a picture of a 2 story house that had been swept off its foundation, and was pinned up against a bridge. Then the force of the water shredded the house and washed the debris under the bridge!!

Greer's Ferry Lake (my best indicator, because I go to the lake regularly in the summer) had crested at 28 feet above normal! Campgrounds and swimming areas were flooded into August, as the water took that long to recede. They could have allowed a bit faster drain off, but the communities built in the river bed downstream (don't get me started on That stupidity!), would have been washed out.

Well, this year has been about the same, with one significant change. We have had nearly the same amount of rain as last year, but the flood damage has been relatively low. We have had as much as 10 inches in some areas of the state, just for the month of May. Our area at Drasco has received about 7-8 inches this month. Lakes and rivers are high, but I have only heard of a couple of breaches, and minor flood damage stories. I hope the last year did not make me, or the community complacent.

We had some great stories of heroic saves, community and church groups coming together to help those displaced by floods, pet rescues, and an outpouring of support from church, civic and national groups.

We need to be reminded that we have to stick together and rely on each other, but mostly on our Heavenly Father. Not our government, but each other and God. To that end, I wish it would rain some!


PS There are other memories about Storms in Bakersfield, but those may be for another time.

No comments: