Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Thanksgiving from Arkansas

I have been enjoying reading my family's posts about Thanksgiving, and thought I would add my voice. There are some great memories of wonderful feasts in Bakersfield rattling around in my brain. I remember how much we anticipated Wednesday afternoon, for the bell to ring so that school was out. Yes, I also lived "way back in the day" when Thanksgiving break consisted of Thursday and Friday. We may have "experimented" with a Wed./Thur./Fri. break my Junior or senior year in high school, but I would have to get some input from siblings on that memory. I can't remember ever thinking a week was normal for this vacation.

I guess it may not be "normal" still. My own children have been getting the wed-fri version of vacation at Concord, but my school district in Conway likes to take the whole week. They usually try to make it "productive", by offering professional development for the staff. We have days known as "flex" days that can be earned at an earlier time, and used to allow the whole week off. This year, I wanted to make sure I cover my required 60 hours of PD early in the year, so I opted to take the hours of instruction.

So Monday and Tuesday were pretty much spent. Good presentations, though. I am thankful that I didn't feel the need to grade tests to keep awake.

Wednesday, we get to start our preparations for the big feast. We have tried to keep up some of our family traditions by having dinner with family here. Bob and Phyllis usually invite over Bob's sister Robbie, and we have a dinner with the 10 of us.

Standard fare for this part of the family, Turkey, ham, dressing, corn on the cob, greenbean casserole, lots of pies, sweet potato dishes, mashed potatoes and Benjamin's favorite dish of all: chicken/broccoli/cheese casserole. Of course my job is to bake a big batch of Mom's "sweet dough" rolls, which bake up so light and yummy.

But one difference that might seem unusual. WE LOVE DEEP-FRIED TURKEY!!! I enjoy a good roasted turkey like Mom's, (she really did figure out the secrets with that roaster pan), but here in the Mid-south we deep fry everything. (have you ever heard of deep-fried twinkies? deep-fried snickers? deep-fried coke?? ) Well, turkey fries up "real nice". And Bob has found some great marinades and injectibles like Jalepeno-butter and such. You might not believe how moist and succulent a butter-injected-deep-fried turkey comes out. And just think about that great fried skin with all that marinated flavor sealing in all that juicy goodness!!! Oh man, I just ate way too much of it 4 days ago, and I am getting hungry all over again. You really have to try this sometime!! (ps, don't stuff it!, roast another bird if you just have to have stuffing-in-bird, or roast a chicken, stuffed.)

And the desserts! Pies, Pies and more Pies!! This year, even Elizabeth got in on the action. Michelle baked some absolutely beautiful Pumpkin and apple pies, Phyllis created a wonderful Blueberry pie, as well as a cherry pie dessert, but Elizabeth and I still wanted cherry pie. Elizabeth had baked pies at school for a service club, so she created a beautiful lattice-topped cherry pie for our feast.

I am grateful for the many talented people in my life, and I am thankful that we live in a country where we can enjoy nature's bounty in such a wonderful way. It also makes me feel good that we, as a country can help so many other people in the world. I know many do not have what we have, but this country, because of the good people in it, has done so much good for so many in the world. They may not all like us, but I wonder how much they would "hate us" if we suddenly stopped all the generous support that we offer so many countries.

This is a great country, and we should be thankful for our heritage and our place in the world!

No comments: