Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Vote intelligently, PLEASE!!

I shared this story with my classes recently, but I thought I would add it here, as well.

With all the furor over this last presidential election, and all the controversial issues that also were voted on, I have spent some time talking to my classes about it. I know, German teacher, but this stuff is really way more important than German in the big picture, and becoming a globally aware citizen really has to start with being aware of your local and national surroundings first.

As any who know me will attest, my political leanings are conservative, which is typically (though not always) represented best by people in the Republican party. My students, particularly those who lean more democrat will hopefully remember that our real purpose of these discussions is never , has never been, nor ever will be, to push you to accept my views. My purpose has always been to encourage voting from a base of knowledge and logic, not emotion and hype.

We have many discussions about the politics of Nazi Germany, and the Cold War era, and political responsibility in America the Beautiful. I am very open about my views, but I am even more open in pushing students to explore their own beliefs, opinions and ideas, and make sure that their future votes are cast for people and laws that represent those views. Preferably without infringing on the beliefs, opinions, and ideas of others.

I have even been heard to say,"If you believe communism is the best thing for this country, then vote for a communist, but know why you're doing it!" That is the beauty of our system. Hope it stays that way forever!

I feel like we had a huge amount of emotional politics going on this cycle, and that bumper-stickers and sound bites drove many people's votes on both sides of many issues. I am trying so hard to get my students (ages 14-17) to be ready to be intelligent voters when they are old enough.

I wish we would all do more in that regard. I overheard something at the polling place that frustrated me, and I thought I would share.

I was standing there on Nov. 4th, waiting my turn, when a couple came up behind me. Now, remember, this is small town Arkansas, so I am aware of who these people are, and they are at least vaguely familiar with me. (Their daughter is one of Michelle's former best clients). As we stood there, they started discussing how they were going to vote. I will try to recreate the conversation.

"So, who are we going to vote for?"

"Well, we want the guy who said XXXXXXXXXXXX, and stands for XXXXXX, right?"

"Yeah, I think so!" "Now , wasn't that (this guy)?"

"Yeah, I think so."

"Okay, so we're voting for (this guy), right?"

At this point I was beginning to be uncomfortable, because the guy they thought stood for XXXXXXXX, was actually the other guy. But, being at the pols, and not being married to either of them, I would be out of line to turn and say something. It might be considered "campaigning at the polling place".

Then, they started discussing some of the proposals and amendments that we had on our ballot. The conversation went something along these same lines.

"Now, how are we voting on this act?"

"I'm not sure. What does it mean?"

"I think it means this, XXXXXXXXXX, and we should vote for it."

"Are you sure, I thought it meant this, XXXXXXXXX and we should vote against it."

"I' don't know, let's read it." Pause to read "Well, heck, I don't understand a word of that."

"So does it mean we should vote for it or against?"

"I don't know, I think we should vote against it."

"OK"

This went on the whole time I stood there, and on at least 3 different items, their understanding of the proposal ( or lack thereof) led them to vote against their own views by mistake. (assuming that they went on to vote the way they talked). Irrelevant whether I agreed with their views or not, it was everything I could do to keep from turning and screaming (as politely as possible), "Please just drop the ballot, turn around and GO HOME!!!"

No comments: