Saturday, January 24, 2009

Chocolate diplomacy!

I was reading some of Mom's posts from earlier, and had been reading the one about eating a snicker's bar. Now, anyone who knows me well knows I have a terrible sweet tooth. I like to claim that it keeps me young and smiling:) I know it also makes me look more and more like Santa Claus as I get older. If I let a beard grow out, it might even work, because my whiskers are a very definite white if I let them grow more than about 4 days. Don't worry Mom (or Michelle), I never intend to grow a beard. I get itchy after day 2. And I do intend to try to avoid reaching that body type.

I was enjoying the "discussion" of variations on eating candy bars, and it made me think of some experiences with my students. I have introduced my students to Swiss chocolate. Sorry, parents! Of all the European chocolate I have had during my time in Switzerland, or on any of my visits to Germany, my definite favorite is Lindt/Sprungli, the manufacturers of Lindor truffels. The bite size round balls of pure chocolate indulgence! I have been fortunate to try all of the varieties they make, except the dark/mint version, and all I can say is ..mmmmmmmmmmm:) :)

Over the years, I find it interesting that my students have begun to share my passion for fine chocolate. They have also learned some things about the fine people who make them, or at least the societies that produced them. It is an inspiring notion, that love of a small round confection can instill a sense of pleasant wonder about a culture and place far away from our own lives.

If we all had the opportunity to sample the "minor" delights of the world's many cultures, before we had a chance to see or hear of their many problems, I wonder if we would look at those places and people with slightly different eyes?

It is one of the many joys of teaching, the chance to expose students to a world much larger than the one they know, and to influence them in opening their minds to the many pleasantries of other cultures. If we took more time to find the beauty in other customs and creations, our world would be a much better place in which to live.

Also, as I think back on my students experiences with Lindor "Kugeln" (balls), the snickers test opens up diplomatic opportunities. I know some who will simply pop the whole thing in their mouth and chew it up almost immediately, to get the rush of rich velvety chocolate goodness. Others will let it melt slowly, because the type of chocolate Lindt makes has a magnificent richness to it, and as it melts slowly on your tongue, the rest of the world just melts into oblivion for a moment. Others will separate the outer layer from the "melting" chocolate filling, which has a special softness and richness that is distinct from the outer shell, but which can only be exposed to air for a few moments before it starts to liquefy. AND Oh My Gosh!, is it absolutely heavenly!!

I have overheard students discussing their favorite way to eat one of these wonders of the candy world, and have yet to hear an argument over which way is best. New ideas are tried, favorite methods discussed and relied upon, and generally ..."gushing" is the best word I can come up with. Some have stepped out of their "milk-chocolate" comfort zone to try something new ("dark", "extra dark", hazelnut, raspberry), just because they knew and liked the other.

Maybe if we could just get our world leaders to share a few moments with each other discussing their favorite way to eat a small piece of heaven, whether it be Lindor, snicker's or any other treat, they would be better able to see each other as friends. It's a thought I like to call chocolate diplomacy!

1 comment:

Essie Cheyenne said...

I would have to say my favorite is extra dark, always was, always will be. I eat them by first sticking it in to my jeans pocket for a few minutes then rolling them around in my palms for as long as I can stand it before cramming the whole sphere in my mouth. The aforesaid ritual guarantees the middle is completely liquefied before you ever bite into the outer shell.